Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Self-perception

.
So we just had the two typhoons over the four day weekend. Wife and I took the opportunity to finally watch Game of Thrones (Season 1). We got through 8 episodes in 3 days. For those of you who watched it six years ago, at the end of episode 8 Lord Stark has been imprisoned and the war has just started.

As the show ended, my wife said: “You are just like him.”

“You mean The Mountain? I can see why you would say that. We both have incredible physical strength and we both strike fear into the hearts of mortal men. But he’s actually an inch taller than I am.”

*Wife rolls her eyes just like that time when I claimed I could beat Bas Rutten in a fair fight*

“Not the Mountain. Ned Stark. You are just like him.”

Not sure whether or not I should be offended, I asked “In what way am I like Ned Stark?

“You would get yourself thrown into the dungeon, and your family members imprisoned, while the whole kingdom goes to war, stubbornly refusing to budge on some obscure point of honor that nobody knows or really cares about.”

“I… I thought I am pretty practical about most things.”

“No, for things where you see a clear "Right" and "Wrong," you are obstinately righteous. Or maybe it’s righteously obstinate. English adverbs don’t always make sense to me.”

“I… hmm. You may be right.”

“There is no ‘may’ about it. The world is just lucky you never found religion.”

No comments: